- Fertilization occurs.
- 2 cell embryos are in the oviduct.
- Embryo will be 4 cell at start of week and 64 cell by end of week.
- Embryo enters the uterus.
- Feeding small amounts of high protein supplements, such as eggs, lean muscle meats (not pork) or liver is a good practice..
- Embryos implants along uterus wall.
- During the next two weeks the important organs will develop.
- Her nipples begin to turn pink and enlarge.
- May loose appetite during this week.
- Morning sickness may occur -She may also stretch out a lot due to her movement in her abdomen.
- Morning sickness should go away and appetite return.
- One of the early signs of pregnancy is for the dam to â€˜adoptâ€™ a toy.
- Development of eyes and spinal cord and faces take shape.
- The fur on the belly and around the nipples thins.
- The doctor may be able to detect pregnancy (85% accuracy) by feeling the abdomen. Diagnosis by x-rays is usually possible after 45 days (95% accuracy for determining the number of puppies).
- You may be able to feel the little puppies -they would be the small bumps in the abdomen.
- Development of toes, whisker buds, and claws.
- Eyes now close and gender can be determined.
- The puppies are now considered fully developed miniature dogs.
- She may be showingâ€¦ She may also gain a little weight particularly if she is going to birth more than 1-2 puppies..
- During the last several weeks, your dogâ€™s nutritional needs nearly double. Feed small meals several times a day.
- We recommend feeding puppy food through the end of lactation (nursing)..
- Increase water.
- Enlargement of mammary glands as nipples darken and enlarge.
- She may shred papers, blankets or bedding in an attempt at “nest building” in the last weeks.
- During the last 2 weeks, your pet may become irritable and should avoid contact with small children.
- Moderate exercise is the proper approach. Neither forced rest nor strenuous exercise is a good idea. Short periods of gentle play and short walks are good..
- You may feel the puppies now but counting them may be a bit more difficult.
- Definite abdominal enlargement.
- Abdomen hair will start shedding.
- Dam begins to spend a lot more time grooming herself.
- Her breasts become swollen as her milk forms.
- Nesting begins as she looks for a place to have her puppiesâ€¦ Make sure you have her box or spot ready..
- The dam may not have as big of an appetite during this period. Her abdomen can be crowded with puppies.
- You can feel the puppies move now.
- See if you can get her used to her whelping box
- Nipples and vulva should be gently cleaned with warm water, you might want to trim the hairs surrounding the nipples, to allow easier access for the puppies to suck.
- She may express milk from her nipples.
- Watch for her temperature to drop. You may take it rectally if you want but sheâ€™s just plain old cool to the touch compared to what she has been the last 8 weeks.
- She may also become restless, seek seclusion and in the last few days, soil the house.
- She will be â€˜nestingâ€™ 12-24 hours before the birth
Expected Date of Whelp.
- Expected date of whelp. Average is 62 days but may take place from the 58th to the 68th day.
- Keep watching for that cool to the touch.. if youâ€™re actually taking the temp, it does drop from 101 to 98 degrees.
- Appetite will disappear as whelping approaches.
- May see a clear discharge from the vulva.
- At onset of labor may pace, dig, shiver, pant and/or vomit.